The Eye Clinic: 65 Years of Visionary Care

What began as the vision of one man in one small office in 1959 has grown into a multi-specialty practice with six locations, 14 providers and over 100 employees. We are proud of our history and focused on a future in which we will continue to honor our unwavering commitment to providing Southwest Louisiana with the highest quality eye care.

  • 1959
    D. Dale Archer, Sr., MD, opened The Eye Clinic in a small office on Oak Park Blvd. in Lake Charles
  • 1963
    opened Oak Park Optical (later became Optics Unlimited)
  • 1965
    moved to office on 18th Street, and Sam Emerson, MD, joined practice
  • 1967
    Don Blocker, MD, joined practice
  • 1967
    first intraocular eye magnet in SWLA
  • 1972
    moved to office on Aster Street
  • 1976
    first intraocular lens implant surgery in SWLA
  • 1978
    first Phaco Emulsifier for cataract surgery in Southwest Louisiana
  • 1979
    first Laser Teck in the U. S. for treatment of diabetic retinopathy
  • 1981
    first YAG laser in private practice in Louisiana
  • 1989
    satellite office opened in Sulphur
  • 1993
    moved to Lake Charles office at 1717 Oak Park Blvd.
  • 1994
    satellite office opened in DeRidder
  • 1998
    satellite office opened in Jennings
  • 1997
    first laser vision correction procedure in SWLA
  • 1999
    opened in-office laser suite for laser vision correction
  • 2001
    opened the Aesthetic Center
  • 2004
    first to use AquaLase capabilities for cataract surgery in SWLA
  • 2005
    first to implant ReSTOR multifocal lens during cataract surgery in SWLA
  • 2009
    50th anniversary
  • 2010
    satellite office opened in Moss Bluff
  • 2016
    iLASIK procedure introduced at The Eye Clinic
  • 2017
    1st Ave. office opens in Lake Charles; New main office location on Imperial Blvd. in Lake Charles opened